Genesis 2:7 (NLT)
"Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nostrils, and the man became a living person."

Art carries something that does not fade. It carries the mark of its creator...life has been breathed into it. Art is imbued with this life by its creator - in creating art, we imitate our Creator who first breathed life into us.

Tuesday 20 January 2015

Sketchbook Project: Who I am.

When a new middle school art class begins, it begins with this sketchbook project. The "Who I am" project is one that is repeated through the grades and it is the only assignment that is common among the middle school classes. The reason we begin our semester or year with this project is that it is a great way to get to know a little bit about the students. They are asked to make a page using the things that make you you.



In my example that I share with the class I show them the places I have lived, the foods I like, and the hobbies I enjoy. This project offers a great deal of value in that not only does it familiarize us with each other, but it also helps kick start the students' creative processes. The students draw, color, and design in this project, they also learn about the unity of a whole page - instead of leaving "floating details" that do not feel or look like part of the design.





No comments:

Post a Comment